Friday, April 2, 2010

THE CUB SCOUT INITIATION


     In the mid-summer of 1979, the same year that upstate New York was going through one of the worst heat waves in history, I decided that, after reading a friend's Cub Scout manual, I wanted very badly to join the Cub Scouts. At first, my mother was totally against the idea. But, my grandfather felt that if I joined a club after school, it would certainly keep me out of trouble. He told my mother that scouting is one of the best ways to keep a boy "on the straight and narrow" and help him grow into a respectable member of society. When my mother argued with him about the expenses for uniforms, my grandfather said the he would front all expenses. Upon hearing this, I immediately went down to have myself fitted for my uniforms...one dark blue long-sleeved shirt, one dark blue short-sleeved shirt, one pair of dark blue slacks, one pair of dark blue shorts, dark blue mid-calf socks, dark blue knee socks, black shoes and a dark blue cap.

     All was ready for my first meeting...Friday night, August 10, 1979.

     It was still blistering hot outside (even after sunset). It was the night for the initiations for all of the troop's newest members...including me. I, of course, had no idea whatsoever how the initiations would proceed, since this was my first time as a scout. All my friend told me about scouting is that you get to build things, go hiking and identify birds, trees, leaves, etc. He never mentioned anything about what goes on at initiations. He did mention that all initiates were to dress in shorts and knee socks. I thought it was only because of the weather. I was soon to discover differently.

     My grandfather drove me to the Community Center where the scout meeting was to take place, saying that he would pick me up when we were finished...three hours later. As I entered the hall, I was greeted by fourteen other young scouts...like myself. They were all there for the ceremony. I knew this, of course, because they were also dressed in their shorts and knee socks.

     Soon, fifteen boy scouts, dressed in their shorts and knee socks (but more ceremoniously), came into the room where we were gathered. They ordered us to stand at ease, with our hands clasped behind our backs. Taking handcuffs out from their pockets, they handcuffed our wrists. Then, they took out blindfolds and tied them tightly over our eyes before hoisting us up onto their shoulders and taking us into an adjoining room where the initiation was to take place.

     When we entered the room, I immediately recognized my friend's voice among the others...and one other. It was an adult's voice. I recognized the tone because I had already become accustomed to hearing it...in my gym classes. It was Mr. Michaels...whom I later discovered was also the scoutmaster.

     All of the initiates were unceremoniously dumped face down onto a long table covered with thick mats, our heads and feet dangling over the edges. Soon, Mr. Michaels read out the proclamation of initiation:

     "Know by the laws of the scouts that these initiates are to be fondled by all cub scouts, boy scouts and explorer scouts present during tonight's ceremony. They are to be caressed by all hands. To see if they can withstand pain and torture, they shall undergo the ritual of having the back of their knees first kissed, then licked, bitten and chewed by their fellow scouts, beginning with the explorers and working their way down. Those who display tears or give any sound of crying will be labeled as unqualified and drummed out of the troop and shall never be allowed to join the scouts ever again. After the ceremony, the initiates shall remain face down upon the table until the end of the regular meeting. So it is written in the laws of Webelos".

     Soon, the initiation began. Lips puckered and kissed the back of initiate knees. I, of course, had already become used to this feeling (thanks to Mr. Michaels and our gym liaisons), so I knew immediately the size of mouths, tongues and teeth of different ages. Within a span of forty-five minutes, every tongue, pair of lips and set of teeth had kissed, licked, bitten and chewed their way into my heart.

     I don't know how the other initiates felt during this ceremony...but I loved it all! And the fact that I was going to remain face down on that table...blindfolded and with my hands tied behind my back...for the remainder of the three-hour meeting made me so happy that I ejaculated with joy.

     Did I care about it at such a time as this? Absolutely not!!!

     Ever since that day recently, when I was playing "Good Guys/Bad Guys" with some friends from school and Pierre and his brother were draped across the back of my thighs and knees as I lay "dead" on my stomach, I loved the feeling of other boys (and young men) kissing, licking, biting and chewing the back of my knees. I was used to it!

     When the meeting was over (and after the other scouts left), Mr. Michaels approached our prone bodies and unlocked the handcuffs, allowing us to raise ourselves to our knees and take off the blindfolds. He remained solely to turn off the lights in the meeting hall as I and the other initiates went outside to wait for our rides home. As he locked the doors and went to his car, I looked at his departing figure, noticing that he, too, was dressed in a uniform similar to that of a boy scout...complete with knee socks!!! My eyes remained riveted on the back of his knees until he entered his car and closed the door. Smiling at me as his car's motor revved, Mr. Michaels drove off to his home.

     When my grandfather arrived to take me home, he asked me if I had fun. I nodded. But, all through the trip home, I thought about those other scouts who kissed, licked, bit and chewed my knees...and of Mr. Michaels's knees surrounded in forest green.

     I couldn't wait until the next meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment